Holiday Central of Sri Lanka; Nuwera Eliya
Situated 6000 meters above sea level, the district of Nuwara Eliya is the holiday capital of the country. Where most call the little England, Every year during the month of April it is swarmed with happy and gay holiday goers, both locals and internationals, that it is impossible to find accommodation in the holiday Capital Classified as a highland climate, it is virtually impossible to believe that 180 kilometers from the heat and humidity of Colombo exists a Little England with one of the greatest climates in the country. During the month of April, the whole place bursts into color with beautiful flowers and holiday goers clad in every color under the sun. It is a beautiful place all year round and a great place to settle into.
Things to Do in Nuwara Eliya
The cozy and comfortable region of Nuwara Eliya is a place that invites a visitor to relax and enjoy, regardless of the reason for their visit. Here are some of the things you should do while you are in this pleasure capital in the hills.
- Go for a round of golf at the Second Oldest Golf Course in the country, the Nuwara Eliya Golf Course
- Explore the Haggala gardens that burst into kaleidoscopic bloom each summer.
- Dine at the Hill Club, starting every day at 8 p.m, for an authentic English type meal, complete with five courses and all the trimmings. Make sure that you are properly attired as there is a strict dress code.
- Visit a tea estate and try your hand at plucking tea leaves, an activity that can be arranged for guests at some estates.
- Walk around Gregory Lake early one morning in order to catch some of the best views in the surroundings.
- Right opposite the Grand Hotel is the Grand Indian, which is always buzzing with customers hungry for a real Indian fanfare.
Buying Land in Nuwara Eliya
A land from this hilly terrain is an investment from which you can reap extremely good benefits. A plot from here is good for several purposes such as for developments, agriculture, housing holiday and many more. The most important thing though is to ensure that the land is in a place that suits your purpose mainly for holiday mood and relaxation If you are planning to convert the plot into an agricultural land it is not the best idea to get it from the heart of the city. In this manner, you need to ensure that the land you buy is in a location that suits your purpose as well. If for example, you are going to build a house on the plot, you can maybe take your architect along with you when you go for inspections in order to get a professional assessment. A land perch ranges between 150,000 LKR minimum to a maximum of 3,700,000 LKR with an average perch price of 1,6094,00. There is a hike in perch prices in 2019 compared to 2018.
As per the above graph, there is a steady growth in hotels compared to guest houses however the lower price ranges have a big demand for guest houses.
Buying an Apartment in Nuwara Eliya
Little do most people know that there are apartments in nuwara eliya is the sleepy tea country of Nuwara Eliya. The difference, however, is that the apartments here are not skyscrapers. Most of them have been built in such a way so as not to mar the beautiful skyline of the region. For those who are looking for a comfortable, cozy place to settle down, this region is the ideal answer. While being charmingly beautiful in an English post card manner, the region also offers some of the best and well-appointed apartments in the country. Buying a flat in this region is one of the best decisions that you can make in terms of investments.
One thing you should be concerned about when buying in Nuwara Eliya is heat insulation. Therefore make sure that you check all the windows and any other openings of your flat so that it minimizes heat loss during the cold nights. If there are any, make sure that they are taken care of before you move in. The last thing you would want would be to freeze in the middle of the night simply because you failed to notice that one crack in the window panes!
Finding a Property for Sale in Nuwara Eliya
This zone is a place where the property market used to be high-end but has now come to be more affordable and competitive. About a century ago, the population of this hilltop paradise comprised of British government officials and the local wealthy aristocrats. The estate workers lived in slums or did not have a permanent type of dwelling at the time. The dwellings and land properties (for there were no apartment complexes back in the day) were expensive and could be afforded only by the rich and elite in the country. Today, however, looking at this region, you can find assets of all sorts. Be it a house, an apartment, a land or a commercial property, an average person can afford to buy without selling a kidney in the process. The best thing here is that there are enough types of properties offered at a variety of prices to suit everybody’s needs.
Property for Sale in Nuwara Eliya: The Diversity
- If you wish to obtain a luxurious property for sale in Nuwara Eliya, you can go for a huge estate with a bungalow or villa in the middle, overlooking the valley.
- If it is a property, towards the lower end of the spectrum that you need, then a variety of houses that include single-family/ multi-family homes presented for buying as well as for rent are also on offer.
- The same goes for apartment properties. However, these can be a little more expensive than a house since they have more advance amenities.
- This region is also an ideal place to obtain types of land property for sale, especially for agricultural purposes.
Nuwara Eliya: Beyond the Tourism
Tourism has made its claims on the picturesque region of Nuwara Eliya. If you simply look around you will notice the tour guides, locals and foreigners following them dazed eyed and awed. But there is much more to this region than the clichéd tourist sites. One of the best ways to do so is to have a local contact person there, who is willing to take you through a day in this region as a day tour, with no dilutions or illusions. The next time you visit this region, try to look beyond the tourism into the lives of the everyday man from here. Instead of taking a chauffeur-driven hotel vehicle, try taking a bus down a winding hilly road. Try eating a local meal at a native’s house instead of a five-star buffet at a hotel. Another enjoyable thing to do in this region will be to try your hand at tea plucking, working at a strawberry field or one of the extensive vegetable plantations. Hospitality –You can never get too many hotels, guest houses or holiday homes in this region. Almost all of them are fully occupied during the peak season which starts each April and it is in dire need of more places to accommodate all the people who visit during the season.
- Food – Since it is a place that the holiday-goers flock to in hordes, one simply cannot go wrong with embarking on a culinary mission to feed the masses, for a fee of course!
- Adventure sports and leisure activities such as mountain climbing, boating in Lake Gregory, cycling and horse riding are some of the most popular activities in this region and can earn you a fortune in the log run.
- Tea – In this region, if there is one thing with which you cannot go wrong, it is its tea industry which is extremely profitable.